Early European settlement in the area was known as "Innes Corners" (after homesteader Adam Innes); in 1911, the area became known as "Langley Prairie." The numerous small communities later came together as Langley Township but owing to its more urban development and related needs (such as street lights), the City of Langley decided to separate and incorporate as a separate municipality on March 15, 1955.
The City of Langley is home to six elementary schools and one middle school (H. D. Stafford Middle School). Future high school students from this catchment area may attend high schools in the surrounding Langley District Municipality.
Langley is the home of a very large annual car show, the "Langley Cruise-In". This event is held each September. Langley is also home to the renowned Arts Alive Festival in August. The City's high school, H.D. Stafford Secondary School, performs a full scale musical theatre production every February. As of this year the musical theatre department has been relocated to Langley Secondary School.
Langley's community facilities include:
Is a district municipality immediately east of the City of Surrey in southwestern British Columbia, Canada. It extends south from the Fraser River to the U.S. border, and east to the City of Abbotsford. Langley Township is not to be confused with the City of Langley, which is adjacent to the township but politically is a separate entity.
The first Europeans to stay in the area permanently were the traders of the Hudson's Bay Company. In 1827, Fort Langley was built on the banks of the Fraser River, in the area now known as Derby Reach. It was one of a string of trading posts built up and down the Pacific Coast to compete with American fur traders for the rich pelts available in the region. Farming as well as cranberry and salmon exports soon replaced fur trading as the fort's primary source of income.
In 1858, gold was discovered in the Fraser River in what is now the interior of British Columbia, and the fort also became important as a supply station for the miners heading up the river toward the gold fields. With thousands of gold prospectors, many of them American, streaming into the region, the British government created British Columbia as a colony. James Douglas was sworn in as the new colony's first governor in Fort Langley, but New Westminster was chosen as the capital, as Fort Langley was less defensible from an American invasion.
When the gold rush ended, Fort Langley's importance began to decline. The Hudson's Bay Company subdivided and sold its farm on Langley Prairie. Farming and logging took over as the dominant local industries
The Township of Langley was incorporated on April 26, 1873.
Population (2006): 93,726
Area: 306.93 sq km (118.5 sq mi)